For this recipe, it is better to use unpitted olives as they have more flavour and texture.
- 400 gm large green olives in brine (3 cups)
- 3 inner stalks of celery, thinly sliced
- 1 small carrot, thinly sliced
- ½ Spanish onion, thinly sliced
- 125 ml extra-virgin olive oil (½ cup)
- 60 ml white wine vinegar (¼ cup)
- 2 cloves of garlic, crushed
- 1 tbsp dried oregano
- 1 tsp dried chilli flakes (optional)
- 1Coarsely crush olives using a wooden mallet or flat-bottomed cup. Remove pits and combine in a bowl with remaining ingredients. Stand for 2 hours for flavours to develop, season to taste with sea salt and freshly ground black pepper and serve. Marinated olives will keep in the refrigerator for up to 3 days, but must be brought to room temperature before serving.