“Clean, fresh and vibrant. The garlic mayonnaise and parsley salad really takes it to another level.” You’ll need to begin this recipe a day ahead.
- 10 kipfler potatoes (about 650gm)
- 2 skate wings (about 2kg), skins removed
- 300 gm golden shallots (about 5), finely chopped
- 110 gm cornichons, finely chopped (1 cup)
- 1 cup flat-leaf parsley, coarsely chopped (loosely packed)
- 25 gm Dijon mustard (¼ cup)
- For greasing: olive oil
- 2 egg yolks
- 60 ml white wine vinegar (¼ cup)
- 1 garlic clove, finely grated
- 500 ml olive oil (2 cups)
- 1 golden shallot, thinly sliced
- Juice of 1 lemon, or to taste
- 1-2 tsp olive oil, or to taste
- 2 cups (loosely packed) flat-leaf parsley
- 1Boil potatoes in heavily salted water until tender (12-15 minutes), drain, cool, peel, thinly slice and set aside.
- 2Fillet skate by removing the top and bottom fillets from the bone with a knife. Refrigerate fillets until required. Combine bones in a large saucepan with just enough cold water to cover, simmer over low heat until well-flavoured (30 minutes). Strain through a fine sieve into a clean pan (discard bones), then return to the simmer. Season to taste, then add skate fillets, one at a time, and poach until just opaque (2-3 minutes), set aside. Simmer poaching liquid over medium heat until reduced by half (20-30 minutes), set aside.
- 3Meanwhile, combine shallot, cornichon, parsley and mustard in a bowl, season to taste and set aside.
- 4Lightly grease a 1.5-litre terrine mould with oil, then line with plastic wrap, allowing plastic wrap to overhang. Place an even layer of skate in base of terrine, add an even layer of potato slices, slightly overlapping, season to taste, then scatter with half the shallot mixture. Add 60-80ml poaching liquid (just enough to keep wet). Repeat to fill terrine, cover with plastic wrap, weight with food cans and refrigerate until chilled and firm (6 hours-overnight). Just before serving, invert terrine onto a board, remove plastic wrap, then thickly slice.
- 5Meanwhile, for garlic mayonnaise, whisk yolks, vinegar and garlic in a bowl until yolks turn pale. While whisking continuously, gradually add oil, starting with one drop at a time, then in a thin stream until thick and emulsified. Season to taste and refrigerate until required. Makes 700ml.
- 6For parsley salad, combine shallot, lemon juice, oil and a pinch each of sea salt and freshly ground black pepper in a bowl to marinate (3-5 minutes). Add parsley and season to taste with lemon juice, oil and sea salt. Toss lightly and serve with sliced skate and potato terrine and garlic mayonnaise.
This recipe is from the June 2010 issue of .
Drink Suggestion: Full-bodied viognier blend. Drink suggestion by Max Allen