"If you can find a whole smoked eel, it's an amazing thing - it's like the bacon of the sea," says Kelly. "This is an update of the classic cucumber teatime sandwich."
- 12 slices white bread
- 120 gm crème fraîche
- 1 tbsp finely grated fresh horseradish
- 1 tbsp lemon juice, or to taste
- 600 gm smoked eel
- 1Cut crusts from bread with a serrated knife, then cut slices into 4cm x 9cm fingers.
- 2Combine crème fraîche, horseradish and lemon juice in a bowl and season to taste – there should be plenty of horseradish kick, just lifted with the lemon. Spread on the bread slices and set aside.
- 3Heat a grill to hot. Cut eel into pieces the same size as the bread, then grill on a baking tray briefly to loosen the fat and breathe a bit of life back into it (30 seconds to 1 minute). Sandwich between bread and serve.
The Latest from Gourmet Traveller
- Fast RecipesCitrus-cured salmon with horseradish cream and bagelsYesterday 11:00pm
- Fast RecipesChar-grilled capsicum salad with sherry vinaigretteYesterday 11:00pm