You’ll need to begin this recipe a day ahead.
- 1 bunch each chives and chervil
- 1 bunch dill, plus 2 tsp extra finely chopped dill
- 400 gm piece Woodbridge smoked ocean trout fillet, skin-on, blood line removed (see note)
- 100 gm Dijon mustard
- 1 large kipfler potato, thinly sliced
- 1 telegraph cucumber, cut into julienne
- 12 green asparagus spears, blanched and refreshed
- 1 Granny Smith apple, quartered, thinly sliced
- 100 gm lamb’s tongue lettuce
- 2 eggs, at room temperature
- 30 gm crème fraîche
- 1½ golden shallots, finely chopped
- ½ long green chilli, finely chopped
- 1 tbsp chives, finely chopped
- 2 tsp finely chopped truffle, plus extra shaved to serve
- ½ tsp smoked paprika, or to taste
- To taste: Tabasco
- 1 tbsp Champagne vinegar
- 1 tsp finely chopped golden shallot
- ½ small garlic clove, finely grated
- 1 tsp Dijon mustard
- 1½ tsp clear honey
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- 70 ml light, fruity olive oil
- 1Finely chop bunches of herbs and combine on a tray. Brush top of ocean trout fillet with mustard, then press ocean trout, mustard-side down, onto herbs to form a crust. Lay three layers of plastic wrap onto a work surface. Place ocean trout onto plastic wrap, herb-side down, then wrap tightly and refrigerate to infuse (6 hours-overnight).
- 2For devilled eggs, cook eggs in boiling water until hard-boiled (8-10 minutes), cool under cold running water, then peel, halve lengthways and remove yolks using a teaspoon. Refrigerate eggwhites until required. Pass yolks through a fine sieve into a bowl. Add remaining ingredients and season to taste. The mix should be spicy. Transfer to a piping bag fitted with a 1cm-star nozzle, then pipe into eggwhite cavities and refrigerate until required.
- 3For French dressing, combine vinegar, shallot and garlic in a bowl. Whisk in mustard, honey and lemon juice in a bowl until smooth, then gradually add olive oil in a slow stream. Thin with extra vinegar if mixture becomes too thick and season to taste.
- 4Cook potato in boiling water until tender (3-5 minutes). Drain and set aside to cool.
- 5Cut ocean trout widthways into 1cm-thick slices, remove plastic wrap and arrange three slices on each plate. Combine cucumber, extra dill and half the French dressing in a small bowl, season lightly to taste, then, using a fork, twist neatly into parcels and arrange on plates next to ocean trout. Top with a devilled egg, topped with a truffle slice. Combine asparagus, apple, lamb’s lettuce, potato and remaining dressing in a bowl, then arrange over ocean trout and serve immediately.
Note Woodbridge smoked ocean trout is available from Simon Johnson.