- 6 small eggplants (200gm each)
- 4 Lebanese cucumbers, roughly diced
- 4 vine-ripened tomatoes, sliced into wedges
- 1 small red chilli, thinly sliced
- 2 tbsp pomegranate molasses
- Juice of 2 lemons
- 80 ml extra-virgin olive oil (1/3 cup)
- ¾ cup (loosely packed) coriander leaves
- ½ cup (loosely packed) mint leaves, coarsely chopped
- 1 tbsp sumac
- 1Heat a char-grill and cook eggplants over an open flame or medium-high grill, turning occasionally, until black all over (8-10 minutes). When cool enough to handle, halve lengthways and gently scoop out flesh, being careful not take the charred skin with it. Chop into large pieces and combine in a bowl with cucumbers, tomatoes and chilli.
- 2Combine pomegranate molasses, lemon juice and olive oil in a separate bowl, and pour onto eggplant mixture. Stand for 10 minutes for flavours to develop. Taste for seasoning – it should be sharp, sour and sweet – and season as necessary. Add herbs and sumac, toss to combine and serve.
The Latest from Gourmet Traveller
- DestinationsThe best places to visit in Queenstown, New ZealandYesterday 2:30am