"So simple yet so sublime," says Curtis Stone. "I love that these ultra-airy pancakes require no whisking of eggwhites to lighten them - the key lies in a very lumpy batter. So whatever you do, don't overmix it. Serve them hot from the pan, so your family and friends can enjoy them in all their fluffy glory."
- 235 ml buttermilk
- 210 gm sour cream
- 1 egg
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 210 gm plain flour
- 110 gm caster sugar (½ cup)
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
- Clarified butter, for frying
- Icing sugar and mascarpone, to serve
- 125 ml mandarin juice (from about 4 mandarins) (½ cup)
- 75 gm caster sugar
- 2 tbsp Grand Marnier, or other orange liqueur
- 65 gm unsalted butter, diced
- 3 mandarins, peeled, pith removed, sliced into rounds, seeds discarded
- 1For Suzette sauce, bring juice, sugar and liqueur to a simmer in a large frying pan, stirring until sugar dissolves. Add butter a piece at a time, whisking to incorporate between additions. Stir in ¼ tsp sea salt flakes and simmer until thickened to a syrup consistency (4-5 minutes; sauce can be refrigerated at this stage for up to 5 days). Add mandarin slices and keep warm.
- 2Whisk buttermilk, sour cream, egg and vanilla in a large bowl to combine. Stir flour, sugar, baking powder, bicarbonate of soda and ½ tsp sea salt flakes in a separate bowl to combine. Gently fold flour mixture into buttermilk mixture until a lumpy batter forms – for light and fluffy pancakes, it's crucial that the batter remains lumpy.
- 3Heat a large frying pan over medium-low heat. Add just enough clarified butter to cover the base, then add ⅓-cupfuls of batter (do not spread batter) and cook, turning once and adjusting heat as needed, until pancakes are puffed and golden brown (2-3 minutes each side). Dust pancakes with icing sugar and serve with Suzette sauce and dollops of mascarpone.
The Latest from Gourmet Traveller
- Fast RecipesCitrus-cured salmon with horseradish cream and bagelsYesterday 11:00pm
- Fast RecipesChar-grilled capsicum salad with sherry vinaigretteYesterday 11:00pm