"This one is a sure-fire crowd-pleaser," says Robertson. "It's hard to go wrong with the robust flavours of Bourbon, and spices such as paprika, ginger and cumin, especially when they're cooked down into a finger-licking sticky glaze."
- 80 ml apple cider vinegar (1/3 cup)
- 50 gm honey
- 40 ml Bourbon
- 40 gm smoked paprika (1/3 cup)
- 2 tbsp brown sugar
- 2 tbsp chilli flakes
- 2 tsp ground ginger
- 2 tsp ground cumin
- 2 tsp ground cinnamon
- Finely grated rind of 1 lemon and 1 lime, plus extra wedges of each to serve
- 1 kg skinless, boneless pork belly, cut into 1cm strips
- 1Mix vinegar, honey, Bourbon, paprika, sugar, chilli flakes, ginger, cumin, cinnamon and citrus rinds together in a large bowl with 3 tsp sea salt flakes. Add pork belly, and mix to combine and coat well. Cover and refrigerate for 2-4 hours.
- 2Heat a barbecue or a char-grill pan to medium-high heat. Lightly oil the bars or pan and grill the pork in batches, turning occasionally, until cooked through and well browned (8-10 minutes). Squeeze lemon and lime juice over pork and serve hot.
Drink Suggestion: Full-bodied, earthy mourvèdre Drink suggestion by Max Allen