- 500 gm baby squid, preferably Hawkesbury
- 1 head green garlic (see note)
- 2 new-season globe artichokes
- 1 large lemon (juice of)
- 1 bulb fennel, shaved on a mandolin
- ¾ cup flat-leaf parsley leaves (loosely packed)
- 2 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- 1Clean squid, reserving tentacles, keeping small squid whole and halving large squid lengthways. Finely slice garlic. Pare back artichokes, remove the choke and slice as finely as possible. Toss with a little lemon juice to prevent discolouration. Combine garlic, artichoke, fennel, parsley, oil and remaining lemon juice in a bowl and season with salt and pepper.
- 2Drizzle squid with a little olive oil, season the squid and sear over high heat for 1-2 minutes or until just opaque.
- 3Add squid to salad mixture, toss to combine and serve immediately.
Green garlic is the mild young plant. Use the bulb and pale part of the stem.