"This recipe is inspired by a memorable dinner in Sichuan province, where the chef served asparagus stir-fried with local morels," says Tan, "Morels aren't readily available in Australia, so I've used fresh shiitake mushrooms instead – the contrast of flavours is delicious."
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- 3 thin ginger slices
- 5 small-medium dried chillies, seeds removed, coarsely cut with scissors
- 1 garlic clove, chopped
- 400 gm asparagus (about 3 bunches), trimmed and sliced diagonally
- 150 gm shiitake mushrooms, trimmed, thinly sliced
- 2 tbsp Shaoxing wine
- 125 ml (½ cup) chicken or vegetable stock
- 1 tbsp light soy sauce
- Pinch of caster sugar
- ½ cup (loosely packed) coriander, coarsely chopped
- 1Heat a wok over high heat, add oil and ginger and stir-fry until fragrant (30 seconds). Reduce heat to medium, add chilli and garlic and stir-fry (1 minute), then increase heat to high, add asparagus and mushroom and stir-fry until coated and hot (30 seconds to 1 minute). Add Shaoxing, swirl to coat, then bring to the boil. Add stock, soy sauce and sugar, and continue to stir-fry until asparagus is just tender (1-2 minutes). Season to taste and serve topped with coriander.
Drink suggestion: Bottle-aged Hunter sémillon. Drink suggestion by Max Allen.