This quick vegetable dish is a favourite with diners at Flower Drum. Water spinach is a hollow-stemmed vegetable with arrow-shaped leaves and is available at most greengrocers. Preserved or fermented bean curd - fu yu in Cantonese - is often compared to ripe, washed-rind cheese.
- 60 ml (1/4 cup) vegetable oil
- 4 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- 60 gm preserved bean curd (fu yu) mashed, plus 60ml liquid from the jar (see note)
- 700 gm water spinach, tough stems trimmed
- 1½ tsp caster sugar
- 1 long red chilli, coarsely chopped (optional)
- 1Heat oil in a wok over medium-high heat, add garlic and stir until golden (20-30 seconds). Add preserved bean curd and fry until fragrant (20 seconds), then add water spinach and sugar and, using a spatula, stir-fry until the greens are wilted (1-2 minutes). Serve hot.
Note Preserved bean curd is available from Asian grocers.
Drink Suggestion: Aged riesling balances the chilli. Drink suggestion by Jason Lui
The Latest from Gourmet Traveller
- Food NewsAnthea Loucas Bosha named CEO of Food and Wine VictoriaYesterday 11:16pm