You'll need to begin this recipe a day ahead.
- 400 gm cleaned calamari (about 550gm uncleaned), cut into bite-sized pieces
- 10 egg yolks
- 3 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 tbsp finely chopped flat-leaf parsley
- 150 gm panko (see note)
- 100 gm coarse fresh sourdough breadcrumbs
- 2 egg yolks
- 2 roasted garlic cloves (see note above)
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- ½ tsp Dijon mustard
- 160 ml olive oil (⅔ cup)
- 1Combine calamari, yolks, garlic and parsley in a non-reactive container and refrigerate to marinate (24 hours).
- 2For saffron aïoli, whisk yolks, roasted garlic, lemon juice, mustard and saffron in a bowl to combine. Whisking continuously, add oil, starting a drop at a time to prevent splitting, then gradually in a thin, steady stream, until incorporated. Season to taste and set aside.
- 3Heat oil in a deep-fryer to 175C. Combine panko and sourdough crumbs in a bowl and season to taste. Remove calamari from marinade, dip in crumbs, turning to coat, then deep-fry in batches, turning occasionally, until golden (30 seconds; be careful as hot oil will spit). Season to taste and serve hot with saffron aïoli and lemon cheeks.
Note Panko, or Japanese breadcrumbs, are available from Japanese grocers; if they're unavailable, substitute dried breadcrumbs.
Drink Suggestion: 2011 Crawford River Young Vines Riesling. Drink suggestion by Ben McNair