- 12 merguez chipolatas
Tomato ginger jam
- 60 ml extra-virgin olive oil (¼ cup)
- 250 gm canned chopped Italian tomatoes
- 2 onions, diced
- 80 gm finely grated ginger (¼ cup)
- 1 garlic clove, thinly sliced
- 250 ml red wine vinegar (1 cup)
- 220 gm caster sugar (1 cup)
- 2 fresh bay leaves
- 1For tomato ginger jam, heat oil in a saucepan over medium-high heat, add tomato, onion, ginger and garlic and stir occasionally until tender (5 minutes). Reduce heat to low-medium, add vinegar, sugar and bay leaves and simmer, stirring occasionally, until thickened (35-40 minutes). Season to taste. Makes 375ml.
- 2Meanwhile, preheat a barbecue (or char-grill pan) to medium-high heat and grill merguez, turning occasionally, until cooked through (6-8 minutes). Serve sausages hot with tomato ginger jam.
This recipe is from the February 2012 issue of .
Drink Suggestion: 2008 Greenstone Vineyard Heathcote Shiraz. Drink suggestion by Ben McNair