"From rags to riches, king of the stretched curds," says Pepperell. "Add good anchovies, and stracciatella makes for a happy life." Begin this recipe a day ahead to infuse the oil.
- 500 gm stracciatella di bufala (see note)
- Finely grated rind of 1 orange
Smoked lemon oil
- 125 ml olive oil (½ cup)
- 5 gm finely grated lemon rind (from about 2½ lemons)
- 150 gm woodchips (2 cups)
- 1For smoked lemon oil, warm oil and lemon rind in a covered saucepan over very low heat to infuse (about 45 minutes). Cool, then refrigerate overnight. Strain. Transfer oil to a heatproof bowl placed in a large roasting pan. Heat woodchips in a frying pan over high heat until ignited and smoking (or do this with a blowtorch). Cover with another pan to smother flames, then transfer woodchips to roasting pan, cover with foil and leave to smoke for 15 minutes. Remove oil from pan and set aside to cool.
- 2Spread stracciatella on a serving plate and spoon on 2-3 tbsp lemon oil (remaining oil will keep refrigerated in an airtight container for a month). Sprinkle with orange rind, scatter with sea salt flakes and freshly cracked black pepper, and serve.
Note Stracciatella is available from specialist cheesemakers such as La Stella Latticini. If it’s unavailable, substitute burrata or buffalo mozzarella.
Drink Suggestion: 2014 Willi Schaefer Graacher Riesling, Trocken. Drink suggestion by Andy Tyson