- 500 gm mascarpone
- 75 gm caster sugar
- 1 egg, separated
- 200 gm strawberries, hulled and halved
- 3 eggs
- 80 gm caster sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 80 gm plain flour
- ¼ tsp finely grated lemon rind
- 1 tbsp melted butter
- 1For sponge cake, preheat oven to 180C and line a 32cm x 22cm baking tin with baking paper. Using an electric mixer, whisk eggs and sugar until thick and pale and doubled in volume. Add vanilla and whisk until just combined. Sift a third of the flour over and fold in gently using a large metal spoon. Sift remaining flour over, then add lemon rind and melted butter and gently fold everything together. Transfer sponge mixture to prepared tin, spreading it out evenly, and bake until golden (8-10 minutes). Carefully turn out onto a clean tea towel and remove baking paper. Roll up sponge in tea towel, starting from one of the long sides, then leave to cool.
- 2Whisk mascarpone, 50 gm sugar and the egg yolk in a bowl until very thick. In a separate bowl and with a clean whisk, whisk eggwhite until soft peaks form, then gradually add remaining sugar and whisk to firm peaks. Fold eggwhite mixture through the mascarpone.
- 3Unroll sponge and remove tea towel. Spread mascarpone mixture over the inside and place strawberries on top. Carefully roll up sponge, then refrigerate until firm.
- 4To serve, use a serrated knife to cut into 2cm slices.
Drink Suggestion: Sherbetty moscato. Drink suggestion by Max Allen
The Latest from Gourmet Traveller
- DestinationsMade in India: the designers and makers of BengaluruYesterday 4:59am