“The Romans are said to be the original Sangria drinkers – only they used to serve theirs topped with olive oil. This drink benefits greatly from being made a day ahead, its flavours left to sit, chill and get to know one another. If you don’t have time, serve it over ice with extra strawberries.” - Jason Crawley
- 500 ml white wine or rosé (2 cups)
- 6 strawberries, hulled and thinly sliced
- 100 ml Cognac
- 80 ml sugar syrup (see note) (1/3 cup)
- 1 orange, quartered, seeds removed
- 1 lemon, thinly sliced widthways, seeds removed
- 1Throw all ingredients, except ginger ale, into a carafe and refrigerate overnight.
- 2Pour into wine glasses and top with ale.