"Syllabub is an old English dessert; it's essentially wine and fruit whipped with cream," says Biron. "In this version I've included black pepper and balsamic vinegar, which are quite commonly used with strawberries in Italian recipes. The Italians love strawberries with balsamic vinegar; the spice accentuates the flavour of the strawberries."
- 300 gm strawberries, hulled, sliced
- 1 tbsp strawberry liqueur (optional)
- 1 tbsp pure icing sugar, sieved
- 1 tsp aged balsamic vinegar
- 1 tsp finely grated lemon rind
- 150 ml pouring cream
Red wine and pepper jelly
- 500 ml pinot noir
- 150 gm strawberries, hulled, sliced
- 50 gm caster sugar
- 3 titanium-strength gelatine leaves, softened in cold water for 5 minutes
- 1 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- 1For red wine and pepper jelly, bring wine, strawberries and sugar just to the simmer in a saucepan over medium heat, stirring to dissolve sugar, then set aside to infuse (1 hour). Strain through a fine sieve into a clean saucepan (reserve strawberries) and bring to the simmer over medium-high heat. Squeeze water from gelatine, add to pan, stir to dissolve, then remove from heat and set aside to cool. Pour into a deep 14cm x 18cm plastic container, refrigerate until almost set (45 minutes-1 hour), stir in pepper and refrigerate until set (15-20 minutes).
- 2Pulse 150gm strawberries and reserved wine-steeped strawberries in a food processor until coarsely chopped, add strawberry liqueur, icing sugar, balsamic vinegar and lemon rind, stir to combine, add half the remaining strawberries and stir to combine. Whisk cream in a separate bowl to soft peaks, then fold through strawberry mixture.
- 3Break jelly into bite-sized pieces with a spoon, divide among six 300ml glasses, spoon strawberry cream over, top with remaining strawberries and a pinch of freshly ground black pepper and serve.
Drink Suggestion: Sparkling shiraz. Drink suggestion by George Biron, Sunnybrae, Birregurra, Vic
The Latest from Gourmet Traveller
- DestinationsMade in India: the designers and makers of BengaluruYesterday 4:59am