- 150 gm green beans, trimmed
- 1 sugarloaf cabbage, shredded (see note)
- 5 golden shallots, thinly sliced
- ½ cup flat-leaf parsley leaves (firmly packed)
- 1/3 cup each of (firmly packed) mint leaves and dill sprigs
- 1 cup watercress sprigs
- 160 ml extra-virgin olive oil (2/3 cup)
- 60 ml Forum Chardonnay vinegar (see note) (¼ cup)
- 1For the dressing, whisk ingredients in a small bowl to combine and season to taste with sea salt and freshly ground black pepper.
- 2Blanch beans in a saucepan of boiling salted water and refresh in a bowl of iced water, then drain and slice diagonally.
- 3Combine beans, cabbage and shallots in a bowl, add dressing, season to taste, toss gently to combine, then stand for 15 minutes.Add herbs, toss gently to combine and serve.
Sugarloaf cabbage is slightly sweeter than other cabbages and is distinguished by its cone-shaped head. It is available from farmers’ markets. If unavailable, substitute with white or Savoy cabbage. Forum Chardonnay vinegar is Spanish white wine vinegar. It’s available from
and select delicatessens. If unavailable, substitute with a good-quality white wine vinegar.
The Latest from Gourmet Traveller
- Fast RecipesBeef koftas with green couscous and pistachio nutsYesterday 12:00am