- 45 gm crustless white bread
- 60 gm tarama paste (see note)
- 1½ tbsp finely chopped onion
- 30 ml lemon juice
- 330 ml olive oil
- 24 prawn crackers (see note)
- 1Combine bread in a bowl with enough cold water to cover and stand until soft (2-3 minutes), then squeeze excess water from bread and transfer to a food processor. Add tarama paste, onion and lemon juice and process until smooth. With motor running, add olive oil in a thin steady stream and process until smooth and emulsified. Refrigerate until required.
- 2Heat vegetable oil in a deep saucepan or deep-fryer to 180C. Deep-fry prawn crackers in batches until crisp (2-3 minutes; be careful as hot oil will spit), drain on absorbent paper and cool to room temperature. Serve with taramasalata drizzled with extra-virgin olive oil and scattered with Cypriot black sea salt.
Tarama paste, a concentrate made from cod roe, is available from select Greek delicatessens and fishmongers. Prawn crackers are available from Asian supermarkets. Cypriot black sea salt is available from Waimea Trading.
This recipe is from the August 2011 issue of