My father used to take me to this famous sandwich shop in Pittsburgh called Primanti Brothers when I was a kid. They always put fries in their sandwiches. That’s my inspiration for the potato here. You’ll need to begin this recipe a day ahead.
- 4 white bread rolls, to serve
- 100 gm Fontina, thinly sliced, to serve
- To serve: rocket leaves
- 300 ml extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 wagyu beef fillet medallions (200gm each)
- 1 tbsp each rosemary and thyme, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- ½ tsp finely ground black pepper
- 50 gm each button, oyster and portobello mushrooms
- 1 tsp each thyme and rosemary, finely chopped
- ½ garlic clove, finely chopped
- 50 ml extra-virgin olive oil
Potato truffle crème fraîche
- 100 gm pink-eye potato
- 200 gm crème fraîche
- 5 gm black truffle, finely chopped
- 1For roast beef, combine oil, beef, herbs, garlic and pepper in a bowl, cover and marinate overnight, turning occasionally. Preheat oven to 220C, drain beef, place on a wire rack over a baking paper-lined oven tray, season to taste. Roast until cooked rare (20-25 minutes), cover with foil and rest (10-12 minutes), thinly slice and set aside.
- 2For mushroom duxelle, reduce oven to 190C. Combine mushrooms with herbs, garlic and half the oil in a bowl, season to taste. Transfer to a baking paper-lined oven tray, roast until golden (15-20 minutes). Cool slightly, process in a food processor until a fine paste forms (1 minute), then with motor running, gradually add remaining oil. Season to taste and set aside.
- 3For potato crème fraîche, cook potato in boiling salted water until tender (20-25 minutes). Drain, peel and pass through a fine sieve. Fold in remaining ingredients, season to taste and set aside.
- 4Preheat a grill on high heat. Halve rolls, spread bottom halves with duxelle, then layer with beef and Fontina. Spread top halves with potato crème fraîche. Place bottom halves on a baking-paper-lined oven tray and grill until cheese melts (2-3 minutes). Top with rocket, season to taste, sandwich together and serve immediately.
Drink Suggestion: A medium-bodied cabernet. Drink suggestion by Max Allen