The apple butter works well because it adds moisture. A little allspice and clove adds a bit of kick to it too.
- 4 wholewheat bâtard slices, 5mm thick, to serve
- 160 gm roast turkey slices (see note), to serve
- 60 gm mild Cheddar, thinly sliced, to serve
- 250 gm smooth apple sauce
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- 1For apple butter, combine apple sauce and spices in a saucepan over low heat. Bring to a simmer, stirring frequently until thick and reduced to about 60ml (25-30 minutes). Stir through lemon juice, cool completely and set aside.
- 2Spread half the bread slices with apple butter, layer with turkey, Cheddar and frisée, season to taste and top with remaining bread slices.
Roast turkey slices are available from select delicatessens.
Drink Suggestion: A medium-dry cider. Drink suggestion by Max Allen