"I like the slightly sour edge the dressing brings to the sweetness of the tomatoes. This salad works beautifully with fish." - Neil Perry
- 5-6 vine-ripened Roma tomatoes (about 800gm)
- 25 gm tamarind pulp (see note)
- 2 tbsp light palm sugar
- 15 ml light soy sauce
- 60 ml extra-virgin olive oil, plus extra to serve (¼ cup)
- 1For tamarind dressing, combine tamarind pulp and 1 tbsp hot water in a bowl. Stand for 10 minutes or until soft, then push through a fine sieve, discarding seeds and set aside. Combine sugar and 2 tsp water in a saucepan and cook for 3 minutes over medium heat or until caramelised, add tamarind water and soy sauce. Cool to room temperature, then gradually add olive oil, whisking continuously until emulsified. Makes about ½ cup.
- 2Thickly slice tomatoes widthways and season to taste with sea salt and freshly ground black pepper, then arrange on a plate, drizzle with dressing and serve immediately drizzled with extra olive oil.
Note Tamarind pulp is available from Asian grocers and select supermarkets.