- 300 gm white masa (Maseca brand)
- 1 tsp fine sea salt
- 400 ml water (room temperature)
- 1Combine masa, salt and water in a large bowl and mix well. Knead for 2 minutes, cover with plastic wrap and rest for 20 minutes at room temperature. Heat a non-stick frying pan over medium-high heat. Roll 30gm of dough into a ball and place in a tortilla press between 2 sheets of Go-Between plastic. Press until flat and 15cm in diameter, then remove top plastic sheet from tortilla. Gently place tortilla in the hot pan, removing bottom sheet without letting it touch the pan, and cook tortilla on each side until it puffs up a little (about 45 seconds). Repeat until all dough is used. Cover cooked tortillas with a damp cloth so they don’t dry out and wrap in plastic wrap until needed.
Note White masa flour (also known as masa harina or harina de maíz) is a white corn flour. If you don't have a tortilla press, you can use a rolling pin to flatten the tortillas. White masa flour and tortilla presses are available from Mexican food shops including Monterey Mexican Foods.
The Latest from Gourmet Traveller
- Fast RecipesCitrus-cured salmon with horseradish cream and bagelsYesterday 11:00pm
- Fast RecipesChar-grilled capsicum salad with sherry vinaigretteYesterday 11:00pm