- 125 gm finger limes (see note)
- 1 Granny Smith apple
- 125 gm caster sugar
- 2 eggs, chilled
- 1 tbsp honey
- 400 ml can coconut cream, chilled
- 180 gm mascarpone
- Scraped seeds of 1 vanilla bean
- 2 ripe mangoes, cut into bite-sized pieces, flesh from stone squeezed off
- 1 small ripe papaya (about 450gm), cut into bite-sized pieces
- 1Cut each finger lime in half, gently squeeze pearls into a small bowl and reserve rinds. Pick out seeds and place in a small saucepan with 400ml water and rinds (reserve pearls for later). Grate apple – skin, core and all – into pan. Bring to the boil, reduce heat to low and simmer, prodding lime skins under the surface occasionally, to infuse and to extract pectin (30 minutes). Pass mixture through a fine sieve into a clean saucepan, pushing with the back of a spoon to extract juice (discard solids). Add sugar to juice, return pan to heat and bring to the boil, stirring to dissolve sugar. Boil rapidly until liquid is reduced by half (12-15 minutes). Cool to room temperature.
- 2Meanwhile, whisk eggs and honey in an electric mixer until firm peaks form (4-6 minutes). Open chilled coconut cream and spoon hardened top layer into a bowl (you'll need about 180gm). Stir mascarpone and vanilla through coconut cream, then fold in egg mixture, a third at a time, until smooth.
- 3Layer mango and papaya into serving glasses, then spoon coconut-mascarpone cream on top, smoothing the surface. Stir apple jelly until smooth, gently fold in finger lime pearls and carefully spoon over the cream layer. Refrigerate to chill and set (at least 30 minutes), before serving.
Finger limes are available from farmers' markets and select greengrocers; they may need to be ordered ahead.Drink suggestion: A light, fresh dessert-style wine, such as the 2016 Frogmore Creek Iced Riesling from Cambridge, Vic. Drink suggestion by Beverley Woods.
The Latest from Gourmet Traveller
- Fast RecipesHam and cheese toasties with quick-pickled cucumberYesterday 3:00am