This vegetarian twist on a classic is not only delicious but is also a fabulous play on textures. It's best served on super-crisp cups of iceberg lettuce – to prepare, chop off the core and soak the head of lettuce in cold water for an hour before separating the leaves.
- 4 iceberg lettuce leaves
- 20 gm dried shiitake mushrooms (about 10 small mushrooms), soaked in hot water
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil, plus extra as needed
- 40 gm green beans, trimmed and thinly sliced
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 100 gm bamboo shoots, finely chopped
- 100 gm water chestnuts, finely chopped
- 2 tbsp finely chopped spring onion
- 1 tsp oyster sauce, preferably vegetarian
- ½ tsp dark soy sauce
- 1 tsp Shaoxing wine
- Pinch of caster sugar
- 1 tsp roasted pine nuts
- Plum sauce (optional), to serve
- 1Trim lettuce leaves to form small cups, then refrigerate until required.
- 2Drain mushrooms, trim stems, then squeeze excess water from caps. Chop mushrooms so they're similar in size to beans, onion, bamboo shoots and water chestnuts.
- 3Heat oil in a hot wok over high heat until surface is shimmering. Add beans, onion, bamboo shoots, water chestnut, spring onion and mushrooms, stir-fry until almost tender (2 minutes), then add oyster sauce, soy sauce, Shaoxing and sugar and a little more oil if needed, and stir-fry until coated (30 seconds). Adjust seasoning, transfer to a serving bowl, top with pine nuts, and serve with lettuce cups and plum sauce.