- 75 ml vegetable oil
- 65 gm tomato paste
- 25 gm caster sugar
- 40 ml Maggi Seasoning (see note)
- 375 gm jasmine rice, rinsed under cold water until water runs clear
- To serve: fried shallots (see note)
- 1Preheat oven to 180C. Heat oil in a wide ovenproof saucepan over medium heat. Add tomato paste and gently fry for 4 minutes. Add sugar, Maggi Seasoning and 2 tsp sea salt and fry until oil takes on an orange-red colour (8-10 minutes). Add rice and mix until grains are coated. Add 550ml cold water, bring to the boil, stir, cover with a tight-fitting lid and cook in the oven until liquid is absorbed and rice is tender (20 minutes). Fluff rice with a fork and serve with <a href="braised_beef_cheeks_in_sarsaparilla.htm">braised beef cheeks</a> and <a href="slowroasted_duck_legs_marinated_in_lemongrass.htm">slow-roasted duck legs</a>.
Maggi Seasoning is a seasoning that is commonly used in Asian cooking. It is available from Asian grocery stores and select supermarkets. To make fried shallots, deep-fry 4 thinly sliced golden shallots in vegetable oil heated to 160C until golden and crisp (3-5 minutes). Drain on absorbent paper. Alternatively, fried shallots are available from Asian grocery stores.
The Latest from Gourmet Traveller
- DestinationsWhere to eat, sleep and visit in Melbourne right nowYesterday 8:00pm