“This is the way I believe mushrooms should be served – simply, without lots of other flavours competing for attention, allowing the true essence of the mushroom to shine through.”
- 100 ml chicken stock
- 40 ml (2 tbsp) extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 kg wild and cultivated mushrooms, such as pine, slippery jack, chestnut, king brown and portobello, large ones halved or quartered
- ½ lemon, juice only, or to taste
- ½ bunch of oregano, leaves picked
- 100 gm each of Bella Di Cerignola black olives, Bella Di Cerignola green olives, Sant’ Agostino rosy olives and Sant’ Agostino green olives, cheeks removed (see note)
- 1Combine stock and olive oil in a large saucepan, bring to the boil and add mushrooms. Cover, reduce heat to medium and cook, tossing gently, until just cooked (3-5 minutes). Season to taste with sea salt and lemon juice and toss through oregano leaves. Add olives and serve immediately drizzled with a little of the cooking juices.
Olives are available from
and select delicatessens. They can be substituted with other large green olives.