- 200 gm (about 1⁄4 loaf) soft white bread slices, crusts removed
- 90 gm salted white cod roe (see note)
- 1 small golden shallot, finely chopped
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 330 ml (1 1/3 cups) vegetable oil
- 50 ml lemon juice, or to taste
- crudités, such as peeled baby carrots, lebanese cucumbers, baby japanese turnips, radishes, baby fennel and green beans (large vegetables cut into medium-sized pieces), to serve
- 1Soak bread in enough water to cover (about 750ml), then drain and squeeze out as much water as possible without turning the bread to mush. Blend soaked bread, cod roe, shallot and garlic in a blender until smooth, then, with the motor running, add oil in a thin steady stream, whisking until emulsified. With the motor still running, add 1 tbsp water at a time (no more than about 80ml) until mixture is a thick mayonnaise consistency. Season with lemon juice and sea salt. Whipped cod roe will keep refrigerated in an airtight container for 2-3 days.
- 2Place whipped cod roe in a bowl, top with pepper and serve with crudités.
Salted white cod roe is available from select seafood suppliers and Greek delicatessens, and may need to be ordered ahead.