- 1.6 kg organic chicken
- 750 ml Shaoxing rice wine (3 cups)
- 8 green onions, trimmed
- 12 cloves garlic, peeled and crushed
- 1¼ cups sliced ginger
- 1/3 cup sea salt
- 60 ml shoyu or soy sauce (see note) (¼ cup)
- 1 tsp sesame oil
- ½ tsp cane sugar (see note)
- 1/3 cup julienne spring onion, plus extra to garnish
- 1 tbsp julienne ginger, plus extra to garnish
- 2 tbsp peanut oil
- 1For stock, combine ingredients and 6 litres of cold water in a 10-litre stockpot and bring to the boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 15 minutes.
- 2Rinse chicken under cold water and trim excess fat. Gently place breast-side down into stock and submerge for 14 minutes, ensuring stock doesnít return to the boil. Remove pot from heat and stand for 3 hours.
- 3Using tongs, carefully remove chicken from stock and place on a tray to drain.
- 4For dressing, combine all ingredients except for peanut oil in a heat-proof bowl. Heat peanut oil in a saucepan, then pour over dressing ingredients and stir to combine.
- 5Using a cleaver, cut chicken into pieces and arrange on a platter. Drizzle dressing over chicken, garnish with extra spring onion and ginger and serve immediately.