"This salad is a good foil for rich beef," says Gilmore. "Use any mixture of winter greens - the more you can find, the more interesting the salad."
- 6 cups (loosely packed) mixed green winter leaves, such as young cavolo nero, nasturtium, winter purslane, chicory heart, red-veined dandelion, sorrel, salty ice plant, baby kale, young spinach or cabbage heart
Red wine vinaigrette
- 25 ml red wine vinegar
- 1 golden shallot, finely chopped
- ½ garlic clove, finely chopped
- 75 ml olive oil
- 1For red wine vinaigrette, combine vinegar,
shallot, garlic and a pinch of salt in a bowl, and
set aside to macerate for 30 minutes, then whisk
in olive oil and season with a few grinds of
- 2To serve, dress the winter leaves in a large
bowl and toss lightly to coat.
Drink suggestion by Russ Mills & Amanda Yallop