- 300 gm broccoli (2 heads), halved
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- Dried bonito-flavoured sesame seeds
Roasted sesame sauce
- 30 gm white sesame seeds
- ½ tsp caster sugar
- 1½ tbsp Kewpie mayonnaise
- 1 tbsp Japanese rice vinegar
- 1 tbsp tamari
- 2½ tsp mirin
- 2½ tsp sesame oil
- 1For roasted sesame sauce, preheat oven to 180C. Roast sesame seeds on an oven tray, stirring a couple of times, until golden brown (6-10 minutes). Finely grind sesame seeds and sugar with a mortar and pestle or, for a finer sauce, grind in a high-speed blender. Add remaining ingredients and whisk to combine.
- 2Increase oven to 250C. Blanch broccoli until just tender, but not soft (1½-2 minutes; see cook's notes p177). Refresh in iced water, drain and pat dry with paper towels. Oil and season broccoli with salt all over. Place in a roasting pan lined with baking paper and roast until it starts to caramelise (12-18 minutes).
- 3Pour sesame dressing onto plates and top with roasted broccoli, scatter with bonito-flavoured sesame seeds and serve.
Bonito-flavoured sesame seeds are available from goodgrubhub.com.