This nutty tart paired with tangy rhubarb cries out for a scoop of ice-cream or a dollop of cream - try the cream lightly sweetened with brown sugar and scented with a hint of vanilla.
- 40 gm (1/3 cup) almond meal
- 30 gm raw almonds, coarsely chopped
- 30 gm plain flour
- 30 gm brown sugar
- 30 gm softened butter
- 1½ tbsp orange juice
- 375 gm sheet butter puff pastry (see note)
- 220 gm (1 cup) caster sugar
- 60 ml dessert wine
- Juice of 1 lemon and 1 orange
- 1 vanilla bean, split and seeds scraped
- 200 gm rhubarb (about ½ bunch), cut into 5cm lengths
- 1Preheat oven to 200C. Beat almond meal, almonds, flour, sugar and butter in a bowl to combine, then beat in orange juice.
- 2Cut out four 12cm squares of pastry, place on a baking tray lined with baking paper and prick all over with a fork. Scatter half the almond mixture over squares, leaving a 1cm border and bake until puffed and golden (10-15 minutes). Spread remaining almond mixture on a separate tray lined with baking paper and bake until golden and crisp (5-6 minutes).
- 3For poached rhubarb, stir sugar, wine, juices, vanilla bean and seeds and 125ml water in a saucepan over medium-high heat until sugar dissolves. Bring to the simmer, add rhubarb and cook until just tender but still holding shape (6-8 minutes). Spoon rhubarb on tarts and serve warm with a dollop of cream and scatter over remaining almond mixture.
Note We use Carême butter puff pastry, which comes in pre-rolled 375gm sheets.
The Latest from Gourmet Traveller
- DestinationsWhere to eat, sleep and visit in Melbourne right nowYesterday 8:00pm