- 1 tbsp peanut oil
- 3 cm piece ginger, thinly sliced
- 2 red shallots, thinly sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
- 1 tsp finely chopped coriander roots
- ½ tsp white peppercorns, crushed
- 500 ml fish stock (2 cups)
- 60 ml light soy sauce (¼ cup)
- 1 tbsp brown sugar
- 150 gm oyster mushrooms, larger ones torn lengthways
- 1 bunch gai lan (Chinese broccoli), trimmed
- 4 snapper fillets (about 200gm each)
- to serve coriander sprigs
- to serve steamed rice
- 1Heat oil in a large frying pan over medium heat, add ginger, shallot, garlic, coriander root and peppercorns and cook for 2 minutes or until soft. Add fish stock, soy sauce and sugar, cover and bring to the boil over medium heat. Add mushrooms and gai lan and place fish on top, cover and simmer for 10 minutes or until fish is cooked through.
- 2To serve, divide fish and vegetables between bowls, ladle over broth, scatter with coriander and serve with steamed rice.