Dry-roasted buckwheat adds crunch to this classic combination of asparagus and egg, while a miso dressing takes it up a notch.
- 4 eggs, at room temperature
- 4 bunches asparagus, trimmed
- 80 ml (¼ cup) extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 tsp shiro (white) miso
- 3 tsp brown rice vinegar
- 1 dried shiitake mushroom, finely grated
- 2 tbsp buckwheat kernels
- Pea shoots, to serve
- 1Bring a large saucepan of salted water to a simmer, add eggs carefully and cook until soft-boiled (6 minutes). Remove with a slotted spoon and submerge into iced water (30 seconds), then peel.
- 2Bring water back to the boil and blanch asparagus (30 seconds), then drain, refresh in iced water and drain again.
- 3Combine oil, miso, vinegar, and shiitake in a jar; shake well until emulsified. Season to taste.
- 4Dry-roast buckwheat in a small frying pan over medium heat until golden (3-4 minutes), then add to a mortar with a pinch of sea salt and lightly crush with a pestle.
- 5To serve, toss asparagus in dressing and transfer to a platter. Top with pea shoots and halved eggs, then scatter over buckwheat.