- 120 gm firm ricotta, coarsely crumbled
- 150 ml olive oil
- ¼ cup (loosely packed) thyme
- 1 tsp dried chilli flakes
- 6 quail, butterflied
- 50 ml each vincotto and red wine vinegar
- 2 pink lady apples, julienned
- 2 witlof, leaves separated
- 1½ cups (loosely packed) watercress, trimmed
- ½ cup (loosely packed) flat-leaf parsley
- 1Preheat oven to 180C. Scatter ricotta on an oven tray lined with baking paper, drizzle with 50ml olive oil, scatter over a third of the thyme, rind and chilli flakes, season to taste and bake until golden (10-12 minutes). Set aside to cool slightly.
- 2Drizzle quail with 40ml oil, scatter with half the thyme and season to taste. Heat a large frying pan over medium-high heat, add quail in batches skin-side down and cook, turning occasionally, until golden and cooked through (6-8 minutes). Set aside to rest.
- 3Whisk vincotto, vinegar and remaining oil in a bowl, season to taste. Combine apple, witlof, watercress, parsley, ricotta and remaining thyme in a large bowl, drizzle with dressing, season to taste and toss to combine. Add quail, toss to combine then serve with pepitas, to scatter over.