- 225 gm soft unsalted butter
- ¾ cup golden syrup
- 3 eggs
- 225 gm plain flour (1½ cups)
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 2 tsp ground ginger
- 2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp ground cloves
- 2 stalks of rhubarb, thinly sliced
- 55 gm caster sugar (¼ cup)
- 1For rhubarb compote, combine rhubarb, sugar and 1 tbsp water in a saucepan, and bring to the boil over high heat, reduce heat to low, cover and cook for 2 minutes or until softened, then cook, uncovered, for 8 minutes or until liquid has reduced and rhubarb is soft. Cool.
- 2Using an electric mixer, cream butter and golden syrup until pale, then add eggs, one at a time, beating well between each addition, until incorporated.
- 3Sift over flour, baking powder and spices and stir to combine, then spoon into 9 lightly greased 2/3-cup-capacity mini loaf pans and spoon 2 tsp rhubarb down centre. Bake at 180C for 12-15 minutes or until just cooked. Allow to cool slightly, then turn out onto wire racks and cool. Cake will keep in an airtight container for up to 3 days.
Drink Suggestion: Morris Old Premium Amontillado.