Combining bacon, eggs, avocado and charred sourdough, this twist on a Caesar salad works as breakfast, lunch or dinner. The creamy avocado is a good foil for the smoky bacon and piquant anchovies.
- 6 eggs, at room temperature
- 6 streaky bacon rashers, rind removed
- Olive oil, for drizzling
- 4 thin slices of sourdough bread (we used miche)
- 1 garlic clove, halved
- 4 baby cos lettuces, outer leaves removed, hearts quartered lengthways
- 2 avocados, sliced
- 8 anchovy fillets, halved lengthways
- Coarsely chopped flat-leaf parsley and finely grated parmesan, to serve
- 1 egg yolk
- 4 anchovy fillets
- 1 garlic clove
- 2 tsp Djion mustard
- 1½ tbsp red wine vinegar
- 125 ml (½ cup) mild-flavoured extra-virgin olive oil
- 1½ tbsp lemon juice
- 2 tbsp crème fraîche
- 1 tbsp finely chopped tarragon, or to taste
- 1Cook eggs in a saucepan of boiling water until cooked to your liking (6 minutes for soft-boiled). Refresh in iced water and peel.
- 2Meanwhile, for tarragon-anchovy dressing, process yolk, anchovies, garlic, mustard and vinegar in a food processor to combine, then, with the motor running, add oil in a thin, steady stream, processing until thick and emulsified. Stir in lemon juice, crème fraîche and tarragon, season to taste and chill until required.
- 3Heat a char-grill pan or barbecue to high heat. Drizzle bacon with oil and grill in batches, turning occasionally, until crisp (2-3 minutes). Drizzle sourdough with oil and grill, turning once, until charred and toasted (1-2 minutes each side). Rub with cut sides of garlic.
- 4Divide cos among bowls, top with avocado and torn egg, crumble croûtons and bacon on top and scatter with anchovies. Drizzle with tarragon-anchovy dressing, top with parsley and grated parmesan and serve.
The Latest from Gourmet Traveller
- Hotel AwardsAustralia's Hotel of the Year for 2018 is revealedYesterday 10:00pm