- 12 green Balmain bug tails, peeled (see note)
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 2 avocados, halved, stones removed, peeled and thickly sliced lengthways
- 2 baby butter (gem) lettuces, outer leaves discarded, leaves separated
- 1 cup each of (loosely packed) mint and flat-leaf parsley leaves
Preserved lemon dressing
- 60 ml extra-virgin olive oil (¼ cup)
- ½ preserved lemon, flesh removed, rind finely chopped
- 1 green onion, thinly sliced
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 tsp honey
- ½ tsp dried chilli flakes
- 1For preserved lemon dressing, combine ingredients in a small bowl and season to taste with sea salt and freshly ground black pepper.
- 2Combine bug tails and olive oil in a bowl, and season to taste. Heat a large frying pan over medium-high heat, add bug meat and cook, turning occasionally, for 3 minutes oruntil golden and just cooked through.
- 3Combine remaining ingredients in a bowl, add bug meat and pan juices, drizzle with dressing, toss gently to combine and serve.
Balmain bugs may be replaced with peeled green Moreton Bay bug tails or large peeled green king prawns.