- 4 corn-fed chicken breast fillets, skin on (800gm)
- 250 gm 4mm-wide rice stick noodles
- 2 Lebanese cucumbers, halved lengthways, seeded and thinly sliced on the diagonal
- 4 green onions, cut into julienne
- ½ cup firmly packed coriander leaves
- 75 gm Chinese sesame paste (¼ cup)
- ¼ cup soy sauce
- 1½ tbsp caster sugar
- 1½ tbsp Chinese black vinegar or rice vinegar
- 1 tbsp sesame oil, plus 1 tsp extra, for noodles
- 1 fresh red birdseye chilli, seeded and finely chopped
- 1 clove of garlic, finely chopped
- 1Place chicken in a saucepan, cover with water and bring to a simmer over low-medium heat. Cook for 12-15 minutes or until chicken is just tender, then remove from pan and cool. Strain hot chicken cooking liquid through a fine sieve into a bowl, add noodles, stand for 5 minutes, then drain and cool under running water. Return noodles to bowl and toss with extra sesame oil.
- 2For sauce, combine all ingredients and ¼ cup water in a bowl and whisk until smooth.
- 3Using the flat side of a meat mallet, gently pound chicken to loosen fibres, discard skin, then shred into long strips and add to noodles with remaining ingredients. Toss to combine. Divide noodle mixture among bowls and serve with sauce passed separately.
The Latest from Gourmet Traveller
- DestinationsMade in India: the designers and makers of BengaluruYesterday 4:59am