The Korean gochujang chilli paste in this dish is worth searching Asian grocers for, but Sriracha or another chilli sauce will also provide the added kick.
- 200 gm long-grain white rice (1 cup)
- 12 butter lettuce leaves, trimmed
- 700 gm barbecue pork, thinly sliced (see note)
- To taste: gochujang chilli paste
- To serve: coriander and toasted sesame seeds
Cucumber and radish pickle
- 125 ml rice wine vinegar (½ cup)
- 30 gm caster sugar
- 2 radishes, cut into wedges
- 1 cucumber, seeds removed, coarsely chopped
- To taste: sesame oil
- 1For cucumber and radish pickle, combine rice wine vinegar, sugar and 60ml water in a small saucepan over medium heat. Stir to dissolve sugar. Bring to the simmer then set aside to cool slightly. Place radish and cucumber in a bowl, pour in pickle dressing, add sesame oil to taste, and set aside.
- 2Rinse rice, bring to a simmer in 375ml water, then reduce heat to low, cover and cook until tender (15-20 minutes). Set aside to steam.
- 3Divide a little rice among lettuce leaves, top with pork, chilli paste and coriander. Scatter with sesame seeds, and serve with pickle and extra gochujang to the side.