- 600 gm baby squid, cleaned with tentacles reserved, cut into 8mm-thick slices
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tsp sweet Spanish paprika
- ¼ tsp dried chilli flakes
- 2 red capsicum, roasted until skins blacken and blister, peeled, seeded and thinly sliced
- 150 gm baby endive
- 2 vine-ripened tomatoes, cut into thin wedges
- 60 gm Ligurian or other small black olives (1/3 cup)
- 6 anchovy fillets
- 2 large vine-ripened tomatoes
- 2 fresh long red chillies
- ¼ tsp sweet spanish paprika
- ¼ cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 50 gm hazelnuts, lightly roasted and peeled (1/3 cup)
- 1 red capsicum, roasted until skin blackens and blisters, then peeled, seeded and coarsely chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, chopped
- 3 tsp aged red wine vinegar
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 1For romesco sauce, place tomatoes, chillies, paprika and 2 tsp oil in a bowl, season to taste with sea salt and freshly ground black pepper and toss to coat well. Cook tomatoes and chillies on a hot char-grill plate, turning frequently, for 4-5 minutes or until soft and skins blister. Cool tomatoes and chillies slightly, then peel, seed and coarsely chop. Process hazelnuts in a food processor until finely ground, then add chopped vegetables, garlic, vinegar and lemon juice and process until a paste forms. With motor running, add ¼ cup oil, then season to taste with sea salt and freshly ground black pepper. Transfer to a bowl, cover closely with plastic wrap and refrigerate until needed. Makes about 1 2/3 cups.
- 2Place squid, olive oil, paprika and chilli flakes in a bowl, season to taste, then toss to combine. Char-grill or barbecue squid over high heat for 40 seconds on each side (large tentacles will take slightly longer to cook) or until just opaque.
- 3Add capsicum, endive, tomatoes, olives and anchovies to squid, season to taste and toss gently to combine. Divide salad among shallow bowls, then drizzle with romesco sauce and serve, with remaining sauce passed separately.
The Latest from Gourmet Traveller
- DestinationsWhere to eat, sleep and visit in Melbourne right nowYesterday 8:00pm