- 50 ml olive oil
- 20 gm butter
- 3 golden shallots, thinly sliced
- 3 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- 250 gm Swiss brown mushrooms, quartered
- 600 gm beef fillet, cut into 1.5cm pieces
- 1 tbsp sweet paprika, plus extra, to serve
- 50 ml brandy
- 150 gm sour cream, plus extra, to serve
- Finely grated rind of 1 lemon and juice of ½
- Splash of Worcestershire sauce
- To serve: torn dill, flat-leaf parsley and dill pickles
- 1Heat half the oil and the butter in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add shallots and garlic and sauté until tender (5 minutes). Increase heat to high, add mushrooms and stir until golden (4-5 minutes). Remove and set aside.
- 2Heat remaining oil in a frying pan over high heat, season beef with paprika and cook, turning once until golden (2-3 minutes). Deglaze pan with brandy, add sour cream and mushroom mixture, stir
to combine, then add lemon rind and juice, and Worcestershire sauce, stir, then season to taste. Serve stroganoff hot topped with sour cream, scattered with dill, parsley and paprika, with dill pickles on the side.