Tofu is a weeknight saviour, and picks up other flavours superbly. The key here? Crack the pepper fresh, and don't skimp on it.
- 1 tbsp sunflower oil, or other neutral-flavoured oil
- 20 gm (4cm piece) ginger, finely chopped
- 1 garlic clove, very thinly sliced
- 80 ml (⅓ cup) Shaoxing wine
- 50 ml light soy sauce
- 2 tbsp oyster sauce
- 2 tsp coarsely crushed black pepper
- 600 gm medium-firm tofu, thickly sliced into squares
- 1 tsp cornflour mixed with 1-2 tsp cold water
- Steamed Asian greens, such as choy sum, and steamed rice (optional), to serve
- 1Heat oil in a deep frying pan over medium-high heat. Add ginger and garlic, and stir-fry until fragrant and tender (20-30 seconds). Add Shaoxing, soy and oyster sauce, bring to a simmer, then add pepper and tofu, and simmer, without stirring, until tofu is warmed through (5 minutes). Add cornflour mixture to pan and stir gently to combine and thicken sauce, being careful not to break up tofu. Serve with steamed greens and rice.
The Latest from Gourmet Traveller
- Food NewsThe must-have Italian pantry staples for your kitchenYesterday 5:00am