- 200 gm long-grain rice
- 2 corn cobs, husks and silks removed
- 800 gm canned blackbeans, drained and rinsed (see note)
- 2 avocados, halved, seeds removed, cut into wedges
- 1½ cups (loosely packed) coriander
- ½ a lime, juice only
- ½ Spanish onion, finely chopped
- 1 garlic clove, thinly sliced
- 2 limes (or to taste), juice only
- 50 ml extra-virgin olive oil
- 100 gm drained canned tomatillos, coarsely chopped (see note)
- 2 pickled green chillies, drained and thinly sliced
- 1Bring a large saucepan of water to the boil. Add rice and corn and cook until corn is tender (7-8 minutes). Remove corn with tongs and refresh under cold running water. Continue cooking rice until al dente (another 4-5 minutes), drain, rinse under cold running water and transfer to a serving bowl.
- 2Remove corn kernels with a sharp knife, trying to keep them in clusters, then add to rice with beans, avocado and coriander. Squeeze a little lime juice over avocado to prevent discolouration.
- 3Meanwhile, for tomatillo, combine onion, garlic, lime juice and olive oil in a bowl and stand for 5 minutes. Add tomatillo and pickled chilli, season to taste and mix to combine. Drizzle a little dressing over bean mixture and toss to combine. Serve immediately with extra dressing passed separately.
Canned blackbeans are available from select delicatessens. Canned tomatillos are available from select delicatessens, Monterey Mexican Foods and The Essential Ingredient.