- 2 tbsp mild extra-virgin olive oil
- 500 gm chat potatoes, very thinly sliced on a mandolin
- 1½ fennel bulbs, thinly sliced on a mandolin, fronds reserved
- 1 small onion, thinly sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 200 ml dry white wine
- 500 ml hot chicken stock (2 cups)
- 4 skinless blue-eye trevalla fillets (150gm each)
- ½ cup coarsely chopped flat-leaf parsley
- 250 gm whole-egg mayonnaise
- ½ garlic clove, finely chopped
- ¼ tsp saffron threads, soaked in 1 tsp hot water for 5 minutes
- 1Heat oil in a large deep-sided frying pan over medium-high heat, add potato, fennel, onion and garlic and cook until fennel is just tender (4-5 minutes). Add wine, simmer until reduced by half (1-2 minutes), add stock, season to taste, bring to the boil, cover with a lid and cook until potato is almost tender (10-12 minutes). Top potato with fish, replace lid and cook until fish is just cooked through (4-5 minutes).
- 2For saffron aïoli, combine ingredients in a bowl, season to taste and set aside.
- 3Remove fish from pan and set aside. Stir parsley, lemon rind and juice and reserved fennel fronds into potato mixture and serve hot, topped with fish, with saffron aïoli and lemon wedges.