This is a beautifully hearty vegetarian dish, but if you're feeling more carnivorous, you could add some good pork sausage to the mix - squeeze a couple of sausages out of their skins, break into chunks and add to the pan when the onion is almost cooked.
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 onion, thinly sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1 tsp dried chilli flakes
- 1 bunch kale, stalks discarded, leaves torn
- 250 ml (1 cup) tomato passata
- 200 ml vegetable or chicken stock
- 120 gm instant polenta
- 200 gm mascarpone
- 100 gm parmesan, finely grated, plus extra to serve
- 1Heat oil in a large saucepan over medium-high heat, add onion, garlic and dried chilli and sauté until onion is tender (4-5 minutes). Add kale, passata and stock, bring to a simmer and cook until kale is tender (3-4 minutes). Remove from heat and season to taste.
- 2Meanwhile, bring 800ml water to the boil in a large saucepan over medium-high heat, gradually add polenta, whisking to combine, and simmer, stirring occasionally, until thick (2-3 minutes). Stir in mascarpone and parmesan and season to taste. Serve topped with kale and parmesan.
The Latest from Gourmet Traveller
- Fast RecipesBeef koftas with green couscous and pistachio nutsYesterday 12:00am