- 130 gm day-old rye sourdough bread, coarsely torn
- 700 gm mixed tomatoes, smaller ones halved, larger ones quartered
- 1 cup basil leaves, larger ones torn
- 60 ml extra-virgin olive oil (¼ cup)
- 2 tsp aged red wine vinegar
- 2 tsp vincotto
- 2 cups large rocket leaves, sliced
- 12 marinated white anchovy fillets (see note)
- 1Place bread in a large bowl, season to taste, crush tomatoes over and set aside for juices to soak into bread (5 minutes). Add basil, oil, vinegar and vincotto and toss to combine. Transfer to a platter, scatter with rocket, anchovies and shaved Pecorino Toscano and serve.
White anchovies are available from select delicatessens and Italian grocers. Pecorino Toscano is available from specialty cheese shops, delicatessens and David Jones food halls. If it’s unavailable, substitute parmesan.
This recipe is from the January 2013 issue of