In southern Italy, they make bread salads with either stale or dried bread soaked briefly in water, grilled or boiled vegetables and additions such as anchovies, capers, olives or chillies.
- 6 thick slices day-old sourdough or rustic-style bread
- 2/3 cup olive oil
- 1 eggplant (about 500gm), cut into 2cm pieces
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 3 zucchini (about 450gm), cut into 5cm lengths with ends cut on the diagonal
- 3 stalks of celery, trimmed and cut into 2cm-slices on the diagonal
- 6 vine-ripened tomatoes, peeled, halved and each cut into 6 pieces
- 1 Spanish onion, thinly sliced
- 24 small basil leaves
- ½ cup olive oil
- ¼ cup cabernet sauvignon vinegar
- 1For dressing, place olive oil and vinegar in a small, bowl, season with sea salt and ground black pepper, then whisk to combine.
- 2Soak bread in water for 10 minutes, then squeeze out all water and tear coarsely into a large salad bowl. Season to taste, then add half the dressing and toss gently to combine.
- 3Heat olive oil in a large frying pan, add eggplant and oregano and cook over medium heat for 10 minutes or until golden, then drain on absorbent paper.
- 4Steam zucchini, covered, in a steamer over a saucepan of simmering water for 5 minutes or until just tender, then transfer to salad bowl. Add fried eggplant to zucchini with remaining ingredients and dressing, season to taste and toss gently to combine. Divide among bowls and serve immediately.
The Latest from Gourmet Traveller
- Food NewsAnthea Loucas Bosha named CEO of Food and Wine VictoriaYesterday 11:16pm