The classic soup is the perfect antidote to a cold winter’s evening.
- 2 tbsp olive oil, plus extra for drizzling
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 1 leek (white part only), thinly sliced
- 1 Desiree potato, cut into 5mm dice
- 40 gm butter, coarsely chopped
- 1.5 litres vegetable or chicken stock (6 cups)
- 1.2 kg broccoli (about 2 small broccoli heads), cut into florets
- 120 gm Stilton, coarsely crumbled
- 1 baguette, thinly sliced diagonally
- To serve: flat-leaf parsley leaves
- 1Heat oil in a large saucepan over medium-high heat, add onion, leek, potato and butter and stir occasionally until starting to soften (4-5 minutes). Add stock, cover and simmer until potato is tender (6-8 minutes). Add broccoli and simmer until broccoli is just tender and bright green (2-3 minutes). Remove from heat, process with a hand-held blender until smooth, add half the Stilton, season to taste and keep hot.
- 2Preheat a grill to high heat. Place baguette on baking trays, drizzle with olive oil, season to taste and grill, turning once, until golden (1-2 minutes), then spread with remaining Stilton. Serve hot with soup, drizzled with olive oil and scattered with parsley and freshly ground black pepper.
The Latest from Gourmet Traveller
- Travel NewsNew art collections and shows worth travelling forYesterday 5:58am
- Food NewsGourmet Traveller taste tests McDonald’s Wagyu Beef BurgerYesterday 12:35am