Okay, sure, this dish is smothered in white sauce and topped with salty, spicy breadcrumbs, but it's mainly broccoli – right?
- 3 small heads broccoli, thick stalks trimmed, quartered
- Olive oil, for drizzling
- 30 gm butter, coarsely chopped
- 30 gm plain flour
- 375 ml (1½ cups) warm milk
- 60 gm (¾ cup) coarsely grated parmesan
- 60 gm coarsely grated provolone piccante (see note)
Anchovy & chilli crumb
- 60 gm fresh sourdough breadcrumbs
- 4 anchovy fillets, finely chopped
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- ½ tsp dried chilli flakes
- 1½ tbsp olive oil
- 1Preheat oven grill to high. Place broccoli in a baking dish to fit snugly, drizzle with oil, season to taste and grill until tender and beginning to char (10-12 minutes).
- 2Melt butter in a saucepan over medium heat, add flour and cook, stirring, until sandy-coloured (2-3 minutes). Remove from heat and gradually whisk in milk. Return to low heat, stir until thickened (3-5 minutes), then stir in cheeses until melted.
- 3For the anchovy and chilli crumb, toss ingredients in a small bowl to coat in oil and combine. Pour sauce over broccoli, top with crumb and grill until golden and bubbling (4-5 minutes). Serve hot.
Provolone piccante is available from select delicatessens. If it's unavailable use aged cheddar instead.