Here we've reserved the very tops of the florets and sautéed them separately for a garnish, and cooked the stalks for the soup base. By all means use all the broccoli in the soup - the texture will just be a little grainy.
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 onion, diced
- 4 garlic cloves, bruised
- 2 heads (750gm) broccoli, top of the florets removed, stalks chopped
- 1 potato (240gm), peeled and chopped
- 1 litre chicken or vegetable stock (4 cups)
- 185 ml pouring cream
- 4 thick slices rye bread
- 2 tbsp butter, plus extra melted for brushing
- 125 gm Gorgonzola, crumbled
- 1Preheat oven to 200C. Heat oil in a saucepan over medium-high heat, add onion and garlic and sauté until tender (5 minutes). Add broccoli stalks, potato and stock, bring to the boil, then reduce to a simmer and cook until stalks and potato are tender (13-15 minutes). Cool briefly, then purée with a hand-held blender, or in an upright blender. Season to taste, stir in cream and bring back to a simmer.
- 2Meanwhile, place rye bread on an oven tray and brush with melted butter, then bake in oven until starting to turn golden (4-6 minutes). Top with cheese and bake until cheese melts (3-5 minutes).
- 3Heat remaining butter in a frying pan over high heat, add broccoli florets and sauté until tender (3-5 minutes).
- 4Top soup with broccoli florets and serve with cheese toasts.
The Latest from Gourmet Traveller
- Fast RecipesCitrus-cured salmon with horseradish cream and bagelsYesterday 11:00pm
- Fast RecipesChar-grilled capsicum salad with sherry vinaigretteYesterday 11:00pm